Sunday, June 5, 2011

RELATIONSHIPS MATTER

Relationships matter. You can be the most successful of all your peers in financial planning, but if you accomplish that goal alone, it is in vain. Building relationships is more important than building a solid financial future.

I occasionally meet an older person who has no connection with any family members. After talking with them for a while I can usually determine what might have been the cause. Sometimes it's a history of alcoholism. Other times they are just plain mean. Sometimes there are multiple layers of dysfunction that have pushed away everyone they meet.

The most important relationship you can have is with God. I'd hate to reach a ripe old age and have all my financial ducks in a row except knowing where I was going to end up after I die. Not knowing would take the fun out of growing old. I think that not having made peace with God would lead to all sorts of anger and dysfunction.

When you make peace with God at the beginning of your financial journey, it makes the whole experience enjoyable.


No comments: