Saturday, January 5, 2013

ON BEING SICK

After lying around half the day walking around in my socks and talking with a really deep voice I have finally decided to relax and spend time on twitter, instagram, and blogging.  No reason to feel guilty.  Working outside just makes a head cold more miserable.  The best part is Lin feeling sorry for me and bringing me special treats, like blended carrot/apple/lemon.  I had to eat it with a spoon.  Now she is making coffeecake muffins. 

We listened to This American Life on OPB.  Most of their human interest stories seem to dwell on someone trying to find answers to life's deep questions.  I sit here listening, and think, "I know the answer to that."  Why does every generation have to find it out for themselves?  It might be nice if when we hit age 21 they put a helmet on our head with all kinds of wires running over to a giant computer and remove all the mush and insert wisdom.  That would be a nice way to grow up.

 Unfortunately the answers to the deep questions still have to be mined.  I'm reminded of the parable about the man who found a great treasure and sold all he had so he could purchase the field in which it was buried.  I think Jesus was saying that deep truths have to be sought out with great effort.  We need to put aside our personal preferences and get serious about it. 

No comments: